April 19-22, 2018
Join us for an exciting art excursion to the city of Bentonville, Arkansas nestled in the Ozark Mountains. While there, we will explore Crystal Bridges Museum, a series of pavilions nestled around two spring-fed ponds housing galleries, meeting and classroom spaces, and a large, glass-enclosed gathering hall and designed by world-renown architect Moshe Safdie. Sculpture and walking trails link the Museum’s 120-acre park to downtown Bentonville, Arkansas. Crystal Bridges’ permanent collection spans five centuries of American masterworks ranging from the Colonial era to the current day including works by John Singer Sargent, Thomas Eakins, Georgia O’Keefe, Norman Rockwell and Andy Warhol. We will also tour the Bachman-Wilson House designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Built in New Jersey in 1956, the home was relocated to the museum in 2015 in order to preserve it.
Additional highlights of the trip:
- Special exhibition entitled 'Soul of a Nation' - a look at how American culture was reshaped through the work of black artists in the 60's, 70's & 80's
- James Turrell’s ‘The Way of Color’ Sky Space
- Fine dining at intimate, award-winning farm to table restaurants
- Balsamic vinegar and olive oil mixing and tasting at Ramo d’Olivio
- Side trip to Eureka Springs to explore
San Miguel de Allende
June 1-7, 2018
Long known for its perfect light, endless textures and layers, lush gardens hidden behind its doors, San Miguel de Allende is a destination for both creators and lovers of art throughout the world. Nestled in the mountains of Mexico's central highlands, its colonial history dates to the 1500's and its cobblestone streets and world-class restaurants have garnered its designation as Travel + Leisure's 2017 Best City in the World. Join us for 7 days and 6 nights of exploring all that San Miguel has to offer:
- booming culinary scene featuring organic restaurants, small batch tequilas and croissants to rival ones in Paris
- iconic churches
- unique artisanal handcrafts
- lively street markets
- countless art galleries
The countless galleries and artist studios, not to mention some of the finest folk art in all of Mexico, will leave you longing for a few more days. Additional highlights of the trip include:
- Private walking tour to gain your bearings and get to know this amazingly walkable town
- Tour of Atotonilco, commonly called the "Sistine Chapel of Mexico"
- Tour and wine tasting at Cuna de Tierra Winery
- Soaking in the hot springs at La Gruta
- El Tianguis de los Martes, market of everything from antiques to handcrafts.
- And much more!
The mission of Art Routes is to provide opportunities for travelers to deepen their understanding of the world through the arts and to generate innovative and creative ideas for the local community.